Historical Timeline

2002 - A forest management plan is implemented.

1997-1998 - Water lines, roads, and street lights were upgraded to urban standards through the largest cash expenditures since incorporation.

1980s - The last private building lots were developed. A number of older homes and original cottages were replaced with larger dwellings.

1973 - Storms badly eroded the lake property. Toronto Star building foundations were dumped over the bank to help stabilize it.

1962 - The lanes were first paved.

1959 - Water line installed.

1953 - Electricity replaced coal oil for lane lighting.

1948 - LPEA was formed and owners of the cottages received control of the park lands.

1919 - Attempt to subdivide the common lands thwarted by six owners through forming Lorne Park Estates Limited.

1905-1910 - Park closed to the public for the exclusive use of the cottagers.

1886 - Toronto and Lorne Park Summer Resort Company formed including subdivision and summer home development. Streets were named after poets and Park directors.

1879 - Formation of the Toronto Park Association. Land cleared. Built wharf, picnic pavillion, gazebos, walkways to operate for summer pleasure and amusement.

1833 - Crown Land Grant to Lt. Arthur Jones.

1805 - Land transferred by the Mississaugas to Crown.

Previous
Previous

Park Opening

Next
Next

Park Memories